Dear Buckeye Families,
Thank you for your continued support as we find ourselves navigating a year like no other. It has been a great start to the school year. I am excited to be a Buck and begin building relationships with the Buckeye community. I am so proud of our staff and families for a great start to learning and would like to take this opportunity to inform you regarding a few updates to our school calendar and food services for the upcoming school year.
District Calendar Changes
On Tuesday, September 8, 2020, the Buckeye Board of Education approved an updated 2020-2021 school calendar.
1. One of the initial changes at the onset of the school year was in response to the spring parent survey. As a result, our staff received two weeks of professional development training to enhance the instructional experience for remote and in person instruction. Staff was also provided opportunities to learn new safety protocols and cleaning procedures established and promoted by the Medina County Health Department.
2. Given the professional development opportunities provided at the beginning of the school year and in order to maximize the instructional time with students, the district decided to cancel all late arrival days. Those dates, as indicated on the original calendar, will now be full student days, operating according to the typical bell schedule established through each building. While the school district utilizes these late starts under normal circumstances for professional development opportunities with staff, we determined replacing lost instructional time in our buildings with students will enhance academic achievement during this unique time.
3. Another change to the calendar is Friday, October 9, 2020. Despite this date originally being a scheduled day off for students, it was determined the restoration of valuable instructional time is necessary. Therefore, students will be scheduled to attend their normal school day on October 9th
4. Grading periods for the 2020-2021 school year will remain the same.
● Quarter 1: August 31- October 16 (Report cards available October 23)
● Quarter 2: October 19- December 17 (Report cards available January 8)
● Quarter 3: January 4- March 5 (Report cards available March 12)
● Quarter 4: March 8- May 26 (Report cards available June 4)
5. The district would also like to invite all of you to mark your calendars for parent/teacher conference nights this fall. All conferences will be held virtually and sign up procedures will be shared with you from your child’s building.
● Buckeye Elementaries conference nights are scheduled from 4:00-7:00 PM
○ October 8
○ October 22
○ November 4
● Buckeye Junior High conference nights are scheduled from 3:00-6:30 PM
○ October 1
○ October 7
● Buckeye High School conference nights are scheduled from 3:15-6:45 PM
○ October 6
○ October 14
Food Services Changes
The district is thrilled to announce some exciting changes to our food services department. Families should expect new menu selections including homemade meals such as chicken stir fry, pasta dishes, fresh baked rolls, and delicious peach cobbler. In addition, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has also announced it will provide free lunch status from now through December 31st. This means all Buckeye students both in person and online will receive free lunches through the end of December. For our Virtual Learning Academy students, the district will announce further details regarding lunch distribution. Again, ALL students are eligible for free lunch. Students just need to go through the lunch line using their student ID number to redeem the free lunch meal. Please encourage your student(s) to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity provided through the USDA.
Proud to be a Buck!
Jeffrey D. Harrison
Buckeye Local Schools